Review: The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin






The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Published by Simon Schuster on October 23rd, 2012
Genre(s): Paranormal, Young Adult
Page Count: 452
Goodreads

Synopsis:
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.





She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.





She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.





Purchase:





Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository










I Enjoyed:





  • I feel like this is the type of book I have yet to read. I don't read a lot of "paranormal" type books. It's taken me a long time to even get to this one. I just like how this book isn't like anything else I have ever read. I was easily addicted to this story. I absolutely loved it.
  • I really love how easy it was to read. Sometimes with paranormal stuff, I feel like I could get confused quickly.
  • I love Mara. I love getting to know her and watch her try and figure out what's wrong with her. She's definitely a strong character. I know I for sure wouldn't be able to deal with what she goes through.
  • I like Noah for the most part. Except the "fixing Mara" thing. I like that he's a rich boy who doesn't flaunt it. I like that he doesn't really put himself out there for attention, minus his good looks. I really like that he would do anything to protect Mara.
  • I love Mara's family. I love a book with a great family. Her parents are so caring. They move out of state to help Mara cope with her losses. They don't force her into therapy. They don't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do.
  • That cliffhanger at the end! What!?!?!?!




I Didn't Enjoy:





  • I highly dislike the trope that the boy can help fix the girl. I hate it so much. Granted, Noah realizes there's not much he can do. For now. We'll see what happens in the next books.
  • Um, how are the cops not asking more questions of Mara. I feel like that was a bit unrealistic. I know this is a paranormal book and that it's no shape or form real.




Overall Thoughts:





I honestly didn't expect this book to hold up to all the good reviews from when this book came out. I did read this book a lot later than most. I'm shockingly surprised with how much I love this book. I love the paranormal aspects and I love the romance. I'm kind of mad at myself for not being a big reader when the book was released. I definitely would have rated it five stars then.





I loved so many things about this book. I cannot wait to see what happens next!





4/5 Stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!