Book Review: Chasing Red by Isabelle Ronin


Chasing Red (#1)
Isabelle Ronin
Published by Sourcebooks Casablanca on September 5th, 2017
396 pages

They said she was going to be my ruin...
Then let her ruin me.

Caleb Lockhart has everything—wealth, adoration, a brilliant future. Until a chance encounter with a siren in a red dress changes everything. Until he meets the woman he dubs Red.

Veronica Strafford's past makes it hard for her to trust anyone. Now, kicked out of her apartment, she reluctantly accepts Caleb's offer for a place to stay.

Caleb feels intensely drawn to Veronica. And, for the first time in his life, he really wants something—someone. Too bad Veronica's heart might just be the one thing Caleb can't win.


I'm kind of glad I gave this book a second go. I originally DNFed this book back in 2017 or 2018. I can't remember when I tried reading it. I decided to go the audiobook route this time. It was a lot better than physically reading it. Still not the best book ever though. 

My time reading it was alright. It has a few things that bothered me. I need to know how this ends. I will be picking up Always Red as soon as I am able to listen to an audiobook again. 

First, I feel like the synopsis is misleading. "They said she was going to be my ruin." Um, who said that? When? I need to know because the author makes it seem like Veronica is the hottest girl around and everyone wants her. I do not recall anyone ever saying that line in this book. 

There are also two random chapters that are not the perspectives of the main characters. Justin and Beatrice-Rose. Did we really need these two chapters to know that they're creepy people and are doing their best to ruin Veronica and Caleb's relationship. Maybe that quote should be about those two home wreckers?

Veronica is annoying. I'm going to go ahead and throw that bone out there. She obviously doesn't know what she wants and keeps stringing Caleb around. Caleb isn't perfect either. He isn't as annoying as Veronica though. Caleb honestly is too good for Veronica. He doesn't deserve the crap she puts him through.

There was a lack of steamy times. I think this book may be placed in the New Adult category and maybe that's why? Or maybe it's the fact that Veronica keeps on getting steamy with Caleb and decides that she doesn't want to possible fall in love with him and stops. I love that Caleb doesn't pressure her though. He's great. 

There was a lot of unnecessary drama that I was kind of living for. I want to know what happens with the home wreckers. And I need Veronica and Caleb to get into the steamy times in the next book. 

I'm not going to lie, this book was absolute trash. It's Wattpad trash. Did I still have a fun time reading this book? Yes, and I honestly couldn't tell you why. 

UPDATE 06/25/20: I can no longer give this book a three star rating in good conscience. The second book is absolutely terrible which kind of made me feel like this one didn't deserve the rating I gave it. I don't recommend this duology to anyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!