The Heart Of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson // Book Review

The Heart Of Betrayal
The Remnant Chronicles (#2)
Mary E. Pearson
Published by Square Fish on July 5th, 2016
470 pages
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository

EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT.

Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save Lia's life, her erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has gift, and the Komizar's interestvin Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is staightforward: There's Rafe, who lied to Lia but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be savages. Now that she lives among them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country ...and her own destiny.


“We had a terrible start… doesn’t mean we can’t have a better ending.”

Unfortunately, this book has "middle book syndrome". AKA, it's a filler book. AKA, it wasn't as good as the first. This book was slow as heck!

This book's love triangle is driving me nuts. I can't tell if she's going to end up with Rafe or Kaden! I'm really hoping she picks Kaden. I feel like he may love her more... I also just really like him more than Rafe. 

I just wish there was more to this book. Other than Lia beginning to love the people of Venda. More than her agreeing to marry the Komizar. I felt like parts of this book were boring. There's still plenty of deception in this book. It just takes a while for anything exciting to happen. 

I'm not gonna lie, this book could have been meshed with the first book and maybe the third book and it would have been fine. 

With that being said, the ending was freaking amazing! Lia kicks butt and takes names. Literally. And that cliffhanger, I'm dead. I'm so glad this is finished series and I can pick up the next immediately. 

3.5/ stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!