Review: Wicked Fox by Kat Cho


Synopsis:







Eighteen-year-old Gu Miyoung has a secret--she's a gumiho, a nine-tailed fox who must devour the energy of men in order to survive. Because so few believe in the old tales anymore, and with so many evil men no one will miss, the modern city of Seoul is the perfect place to hide and hunt.





But after feeding one full moon, Miyoung crosses paths with Jihoon, a human boy, being attacked by a goblin deep in the forest. Against her better judgment, she violates the rules of survival to rescue the boy, losing her fox bead--her gumiho soul--in the process.





Jihoon knows Miyoung is more than just a beautiful girl--he saw her nine tails the night she saved his life. His grandmother used to tell him stories of the gumiho, of their power and the danger they pose to humans. He's drawn to her anyway. 





With murderous forces lurking in the background, Miyoung and Jihoon develop a tenuous friendship that blossoms into something more. But when a young shaman tries to reunite Miyoung with her bead, the consequences are disastrous . . . forcing Miyoung to choose between her immortal life and Jihoon's.










Purchase: Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository










My Review:





My journey reading this book was fantastic. I learned so much. I learned about Korean mythology. I learned Korean terminology. I went into this book not knowing what to expect. I was going to take the audiobook route. I decided it was probably best to read it physically so I can research things when needed. I definitely recommend reading it physically!





Wicked Fox follows Miyoung, a girl who is also a gumiho. She has to feed off gi in order to live. Fortunately, Miyoung doesn't want to kill to live. Unfortunately for her, if she doesn't siphon gi she will die. One night while she was fighting with a dokkaebi, she is spotted by Jihoon. He sees that she loses her yeowu guseul and she forces him to promise he won't mention anything he saw that night.





Well, guess who just happens to be the new transfer student? Jihoon does everything he can to befriend this new, mysterious gumiho. She fights him as hard as she can, but it's futile.





This story follows Miyoung as she tries to find a way to put her bead back inside her body where it belongs.





There's betrayal. There's love. There's death. This book holds so much power in it. I had so much issues putting this book down. It's addictive. I can't wait for the next book. I'll definitely try really hard to get my hands on an ARC if they come out!





If you do decide to pick this book up, put a sticky not on the glossary page so you're able to flip back and forth when needed.





*I secretly hope they adapt this as an anime because I imagined this as an anime and freaking loved it*





5/5 Stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!