Review: A Short History Of The Girl Next Door by Jared Reck


A Short History Of A Girl Next Door


Jared Reck

Published By: Knopf Books for Young Readers on September 26th 2017
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 272
Purchase: Amazon - Kindle
Rating: ☆☆☆☆  
Beautiful Bastard 

Synopsis:


The unrequited love of the girl next door is the centerpiece of this fiercely funny, yet heart-breaking debut novel.

Fifteen-year-old Matt Wainwright is in turmoil. He can’t tell his lifelong best friend, Tabby, how he really feels about her; his promising basketball skills are being overshadowed by his attitude on the court, and the only place he feels normal is in English class, where he can express his inner thoughts in quirky poems and essays. Matt is desperately hoping that Tabby will reciprocate his feelings; but then Tabby starts dating Liam Branson, senior basketball star and all-around great guy. Losing Tabby to Branson is bad enough; but, as Matt soon discovers, he’s close to losing everything that matters most to him.


Beware Of Spoilers!!!

My Thoughts:


It took me a while to pick this book up. I honestly felt like I wasn't going to like this book. I haven't really heard too much about it so I began to wonder if it was worth the read. This book wasn't anything like I expected it to be. 

If you like to cry while reading books, read this. If you don't like to cry while reading books, read it anyway. You'll never regret this book. It's such an emotional read. 

Pros:


Matt: I was Matt. When my grandmother passed away, I was Matt. Until I read this book, I didn't know why I was so angry with everyone else for mourning her. Reading Matt's story explained it to me. It shed so much light on the grieving process for me. He's such an emotional character that keeps everything bottled up. He's so strong for someone who lost someone he loved dearly. I'm really hoping that there's a mini novella that lets us know how Matt's doing in the future. 

Tabby: Even though she couldn't see that Matt was in love her, I still liked her. I feel like she should have had some kind of inkling that her best friend was in love with her. Even though she was oblivious, she was still a great friend to Matt. She just really seemed like genuine character. It saddens me that we don't see a lot of her throughout this book.

Matt's Family: The entire family is just the sweetest people you could ever read about. Even though Matt's parents just had Matt, they babysat Tabby, who was also a newborn, for her father while he worked. His entire family loved her like she was their own blood. This family is just so flipping amazing and I wish more families could be just like them!

Cons:


I just really wish this book was told in multiple perspectives. I need to know what was going through everyone's mind throughout their grieving. Just Matt wasn't good enough for me. This is the only flaw I have about this book and it's the reason why I gave it four stars instead of five.

Recommend To: 


Anyone that has lost a loved one. EVERYONE that likes to read. 


I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review.

My Rating:
4/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!