REVIEW: Breaking Him by R.K. Lilley

Synopsis:
SCARLETT
It was the kind of relationship where I’ve invested more than I had to spare.

I gave it everything.
And so when it failed, I lost myself.
It changed me. He changed me. 
I went down with the ship.
My soul, burnt embers in the aftermath.
The fire of him ravaged it all.
He burned me.
Broke me.
__
Scarlett had always dreamed big. She was headed straight for Hollywood. Destined for silver screen greatness. 
But in her wildest dreams she never imagined she’d be broke and single at twenty-eight, doling drinks at thirty-five thousand feet.
She was a glorified waitress in the skies.
It had been years since she’d seen him.
But one day, there he sat, gazing intently at her, ready to set everything ablaze once more.
Dante wanted her. Again.
Sure, she’d play along…but this time, it was his turn.
She was breaking him.
After all, love is war.

Title: Breaking Him
Author: R.K. Lilley

Purchase: Amazon ~ Kindle

BEWARE: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

So the beginning is simple enough. Scarlett is at work on a plane and Dante shows up. He’s wanting to have a civil conversation with her, but Scarlett is stubborn. She gets him drunk because she’s a bitch and he can’t back down from a challenge. Personally, I think she should have just let him talk instead of antagonizing him. 
She thought it was the last she’d see of him because she won that round. WRONG! He shows up again later that day, which I highly expected. She goes to his hotel with him and sleeps with him because she’s antagonizing him, yet again. I thought this was a mistake at first because I thought he was still with someone who I later learned was named Tiffany. She leaves a note and thinks that’s the end of that.
Ha, ha. Not. Dante is a fighter and what he has to tell Scarlett is important but she’s too damn stubborn to listen. When she finds out that Dante’s Gram has passed away, she feels like a bitch for holding it off, as she should. 
In this book, it takes place in the past and present. It shows what has happened with Dante and Scarlett as they were growing up together. It’s a quite interesting concept and it’s not too hard to get confused. It’s also great to know what happened as it was happening instead of recapping!
(About their past!)
I’m going to get sidetracked to talk about their past really quick!
Gram was a lovely lady who took care of Scarlett, a lady who convinced Scarlett’s grandmother to take her in after she was found in a trash can. Scarlett looked up to her almost like she was her mother. So she mourned her death just as Dante does.
In school, Scarlett was picked on by all of the kids in school. Dante excluded. Dante fought for her and was the only one that did. Her own grandmother didn’t even fight for her.
The end up eventually dating and one day she has a nice little chat with his mother. She told her about Tiffany, the girl Dante was to marry if he didn’t want to get cut off from their money. She believes her and what not. Throws a Scarlett fit all the time about it even though Dante swears up and down he doesn’t want her.
(Back to present)
He flies her out back to old home town and she puts up a fit about staying in Gram’s house with him. I feel like she complains way too much, so Scarlett isn’t really a favorite character of mine. 
She runs into some old high school bullies that still call her “trashcan girl” and Dante comes to the rescue again. Just like he did all the times she was picked on in school. 
Later she runs into Tiffany. The woman Dante was engaged to after Scarlett. The woman that Dante’s bitch of a mother matched him with. She then sees that Dante has nothing to do with her anymore, which is a relief for me. I may not like Scarlett as of right now, but I did like her before she was a bitch. 
The entire time of them being at Gram’s house, they sleep together. They’re acting like they’ve forgiven each other for the things they did, which still remains unknown. I’m guessing that’s going to be revealed in the second book.
We know that Scarlett sleeps with Dante’s best friend but don’t know too much else. Unless I missed something?
But anywho, Scarlett tells Dante something that sets him off. He tears apart her bedroom and makes her leave. Which in turn, makes Dante’s mother come storming to Gram’s house with vengeance. They make a quick escape and spend a night together at a hotel.
I’m pretty sure Dante asks her to marry him or to at least get back together and she waits to tell him yes. I want to punch her for that. When she calls to tell him yes, he’s changed his mind and that’s how it ends.
This book was fantastic. It left a nice cliff hanger for Breaking Her. I’m dying to know what happens with them and what did happen in the past. 
This book was well written and made me want more and more with every word. It is such a fantastic read and I recommend that everyone reads it!!!
I hope there’s no more Tiffany and bitch mom though. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

Books On My Fall TBR!

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To