Book Review: Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin








Shelby Mahurin
Published by HarperTeen on September 3rd, 2019
513 Pages
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository











Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.





Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.





Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. His path was never meant to cross with Lou's, but a wicked stunt forces them into an impossible union—holy matrimony.





The war between witches and Church is an ancient one, and Lou's most dangerous enemies bring a fate worse than fire. Unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, a choice must be made.





And love makes fools of us all.












This book was addictive. I did not want to put it down. I'm glad I read it when I did because I do not have to wait long for Blood & Honey. This book included so many things that I ship and I just couldn't get enough of it.





Enemies-To-Lovers. This is a trope that I adore. Lou and Reid really hate each other. The funny thing is, Reid doesn't even know Lou fully. I was just waiting for that ball to drop to see what happens when he found out Lou is a witch. Their banter is hilarious, even once they realize they love each other.





Marriage Of Convenience. I love how Lou and Reid are thrown into this marriage. Neither one of them are happy about it. Neither one of them want to be married to each other. I'm really hoping that they eventually have a proper wedding because that wedding obviously sucked.





Roof Scene. That was the best scene of this book, besides Reid sticking up for his wife. It killed me when he acknowledges her as his wife. But this roof scene.... how is this a Young Adult book??? This scene was steamy. With that being said, I need more steam in the next book okay?





Friendship. Lou's friends are amazing. They will do anything to make sure she stays safe and alive. They risk their lives for her. I can't wait to what awaits them all in the next book. I'm hoping Shelby Mahurin doesn't kill off any of my babies.





Life Lessons. Reid and Lou both learn important life lessons in this story. Reid learns that not all witches are bad. Not all of them are out to torment people. He also learns that not all good is good. Lou learns basically the same things. Just from a different perspective.





There was no way I was going to not rate this book five stars. I absolutely adored this book. I can't believe how fast I read it. I can't believe how engrossed I was with this story. I want to read Blood & Honey so bad! I am so glad I don't have long to wait.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!