Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett // Book Review






Title: Alex, Approximately
Author: Jenn Bennett
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: April 4th, 2017
Pages: 390





Synopsis:
Classic movie buff Bailey “Mink” Rydell has spent months crushing on a witty film geek she only knows online by “Alex.” Two coasts separate the teens until Bailey moves in with her dad, who lives in the same California surfing town as her online crush.





Faced with doubts (what if he’s a creep in real life—or worse?), Bailey doesn’t tell Alex she’s moved to his hometown. Or that she’s landed a job at the local tourist-trap museum. Or that she’s being heckled daily by the irritatingly hot museum security guard, Porter Roth—a.k.a. her new arch-nemesis. But life is whole lot messier than the movies, especially when Bailey discovers that tricky fine line between hate, love, and whatever-it-is she’s starting to feel for Porter.





And as the summer months go by, Bailey must choose whether to cling to a dreamy online fantasy in Alex or take a risk on an imperfect reality with Porter. The choice is both simpler and more complicated than she realizes, because Porter Roth is hiding a secret of his own: Porter is Alex…Approximately.










If you guys follow me on Twitter, you'll know that I recently did a huge book unhaul. This is one of the few YA romances that made the cut. For some reason, I could NOT get rid of this book. I don't know why. All I know is that I enjoyed this book.





Alex, Approximately follows Bailey who moves to California to live with her father. She has an online friend that has been dying to meet her and wants her to go to a movie thing with him when she "visits" her father in California. Only, she kinda chickens out and doesn't tell Alex that she has moved in with her father. She puts it upon herself to try and find Alex by all the little Easter eggs he's given her about his life.





Bailey ends up getting a summer job at a museum and has to deal with the intolerable boy that is Porter. She can't stand him at first. Until she begins to realize that's he's actually a really decent guy the more time she's with him. She gets confused. Am I cheating on Alex even though we're not actually dating? Should I tell them about each other?





Once Porter was introduced, I knew how this book was going to end. Which was like in the first or second chapter. Even though I had guessed the ending, I still liked this book. I love Porter and Bailey together. They're secretly perfect for each other even thought neither of them knows it.





I really enjoyed the banter between Bailey and Porter. I love that they can connect to something tragic that has happened to the both of them.





This book was a pleasant surprise and I actually think I may pick up more books by Jenn Bennett in the future!





I know I'm not giving it like a four or five stars. As much as I liked this book, I just don't know if I want to rate it that high because it was still kind of bland in some parts as this is a YA novel. If you're not picking up what I'm putting down, that means I prefer adult romances for steamy reasons.





3/5 Stars


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!