Review: Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Synopsis:







Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.





But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.





Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic.










Purchase: Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository










My Review:





I feel like I'm disappointing the bookish community today. I enjoyed my time reading Caraval, I really did. I just didn't absolutely freaking love it. I don't see how people can be so obsessed with it.





I really liked the idea of Caraval. Once we got into the parts where Scarlett is looking for the clues, that's when this book got good for me. I just feel like Scarlett as a character was kinda annoying. She irked me throughout this book. I definitely liked her better when she was with Julian, I just didn't like her when she was by herself or with any of the other characters.





I'm also a bit disappointed in this book. There's a certain somebody that I was hoping was going to turn out to be Legend. It just didn't work out that way. The twists at the end were really unexpected though and I really enjoyed all of the side characters, which is why I'm giving this book four stars.





I'm really hoping there are more scenes with Julian and Scarlett together in the next book because I definitely ship them!





4/5 Stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!