Review: Hunted by Meagan Spooner

Synopsis:

Beauty knows the Beast’s forest in her bones—and in her blood. Though she grew up with the city’s highest aristocrats, far from her father’s old lodge, she knows that the forest holds secrets and that her father is the only hunter who’s ever come close to discovering them.

So when her father loses his fortune and moves Yeva and her sisters back to the outskirts of town, Yeva is secretly relieved. Out in the wilderness, there’s no pressure to make idle chatter with vapid baronessas…or to submit to marrying a wealthy gentleman. But Yeva’s father’s misfortune may have cost him his mind, and when he goes missing in the woods, Yeva sets her sights on one prey: the creature he’d been obsessively tracking just before his disappearance.

Deaf to her sisters’ protests, Yeva hunts this strange Beast back into his own territory—a cursed valley, a ruined castle, and a world of creatures that Yeva’s only heard about in fairy tales. A world that can bring her ruin or salvation. Who will survive: the Beauty, or the Beast?

Purchase: Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository

My Review

I love me a good Beauty and the Beast retelling. Yeva is Beauty in this retelling and I really liked her character. She's very similar to Feyre in A Court Of Thorns And Roses. She's one of three daughters and likes to hunt. Actually, this entire book is very similar to ACOTAR. Her family loses all of their riches, making them sell all of their belongings and their nice home. They move far out in a wooded area in a cottage that their father owns. They make due with what little they have. Their father constantly leaving to hunt. Yeva wants to join him and help, but that's not what women are supposed to do.

Yeva leaves their little cottage when it's been too long since their father has come home. That's when her journey begins. She gets kidnapped and meets The Beast. I like that throughout this book, he is called Beast. I think that makes this book a more authentic retelling. He's gentle to the touch, rough with his words. He's forgotten what it's like to be human. 

This book read like a fairy tale. I love Meagan Spooner's writing style. It was beautiful. Unfortunately, I felt like this book was a little slow. There were moments I would get bored because nothing was going on. I wanted the ending to come a lot faster than it did. I also wasn't a big fan of Yeva's family playing a big part in this book. I understand she loves her family and all, but I wanted more interactions with Beast instead of trying to find ways to get back home. 

I'm definitely a fan of Meagan Spooner. This book just didn't go as fast as I wanted it to. I loved everything else about it though. I love that it was really close to the original story. 

3/5 STARS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

Books On My Fall TBR!

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To