The Hating Game by Sally Thorne // Book Review


Title: The Hating Game
Author: Sally Thorne
Genre(s): Romance
Page Count: 384
Purchase: Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Book Depository










Synopsis:





Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person’s undoing
3) Joshua Templeman





Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She’s charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except for coldly efficient, impeccably attired, physically intimidating Joshua Templeman. And the feeling is mutual.





Trapped in a shared office together 40 (OK, 50 or 60) hours a week, they’ve become entrenched in an addictive, ridiculous never-ending game of one-upmanship. There’s the Staring Game. The Mirror Game. The HR Game. Lucy can’t let Joshua beat her at anything—especially when a huge new promotion goes up for the taking.





If Lucy wins this game, she’ll be Joshua’s boss. If she loses, she’ll resign. So why is she suddenly having steamy dreams about Joshua, and dressing for work like she’s got a hot date? After a perfectly innocent elevator ride ends with an earth-shattering kiss, Lucy starts to wonder whether she’s got Joshua Templeman all wrong.





Maybe Lucy Hutton doesn’t hate Joshua Templeman. And maybe, he doesn’t hate her either. Or maybe this is just another game.










~Things I Liked~





  • I never knew I loved rom coms. I’m in love with them. I need more of this genre on my shelves. This book was fantastic. I did not want to put it down. At all. I procrastinated the shit out of everything I was supposed to do and just plowed through this book.
  • The banter between Lucy and Josh is just perfect. I love that this is hate to love relationship. That just makes their banter even better. It’s hilarious the things they say to each other! How You Doing? It’s great. If you love books with great dialogue, this is the book.
  • I love/hate that the romance is slow burn. I loved the intensity of their feelings when they both come to terms with liking each other.
  • I love the family dynamics in this book. I love that their families aren’t perfect, even though Lucy’s family is close to it! I don’t know why I like the fact that Josh doesn’t have a good relationship with his father. I just feel the same about mine sometimes I guess. We have things in common. I love that.
  • I love their jobs! I’ve always wanted to work in publishing and I know it will never happen. I love getting to experience working with publishing when I can’t.
  • Lucy’s passwords. They were fantastic. Hilarious. I have new ideas for mine.




~Things I Didn’t Like~





  • There literally was only like two and half sexy scenes. I wanted more. I’m sad that we only really got one sex scene in this book. I’m not being nit-picky, but when I read romance I want a lot of sexy scenes!! This is the reason why this book didn’t get five stars, unfortunately.
  • I needed more sexy scenes at the workplace! The elevator scene was my favorite part of this book. I wanted more. I didn’t get more. Just little teases here and there.
  • I hate that it seems like Josh is a dick. Don’t get me wrong, I love a bad boy. I really disliked the fact that he is nowhere near a bad boy. He’s just shy. I feel like this could have been done a bit differently. I guess though, if he didn’t seem like a dick it wouldn’t be a love to hate trope.




~Overall Thoughts~





I’m definitely going to be picking up more rom coms in the future because of this book. The Hating Game is a cute and funny romance about two people who can’t seem to be able to stand in the same room together without talking crap. I loved almost everything about this book. It was un-put-downable. I know that’s not a word, I don’t care. I just wanted to finish this book as fast as I could. If you’re looking for a funny book with romance and great banter, this is your book!





4/5 Stars










Just a little blog update down here. I just wanted to let you guys know, you might be seeing my face more often. I’m not going to do it with every book I review or every other post I do. I’m just going to do it randomly. Like when I’m feeling good about myself. I hope you guys don’t mind!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!