Review: What To Say Next by Julie Buxbaum

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Title: What To Say Next
Author: Julie Buxbaum
Released: July 11th, 2017
Genre(s): Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance 
Page Count: 292
Purchase: Amazon - Kindle - Audiobook

Synopsis: 
Sometimes a new perspective is all that is needed to make sense of the world.

KIT: I don’t know why I decide not to sit with Annie and Violet at lunch. It feels like no one here gets what I’m going through. How could they? I don’t even understand.

DAVID: In the 622 days I’ve attended Mapleview High, Kit Lowell is the first person to sit at my lunch table. I mean, I’ve never once sat with someone until now. “So your dad is dead,” I say to Kit, because this is a fact I’ve recently learned about her.

When an unlikely friendship is sparked between relatively popular Kit Lowell and socially isolated David Drucker, everyone is surprised, most of all Kit and David. Kit appreciates David’s blunt honesty—in fact, she finds it bizarrely refreshing. David welcomes Kit’s attention and her inquisitive nature. When she asks for his help figuring out the how and why of her dad’s tragic car accident, David is all in. But neither of them can predict what they’ll find. Can their friendship survive the truth?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Review:

"The thing is, sometimes people grow from breaking."

I think I'm going to enjoy everything that Julie Buxbaum writes. I really liked this book. I think it was super adorable. I don't think I've read a book where one of the main characters has Autism before. I have a younger brother that has Autism and I feel like this book depicted it well.

David is my favorite. I love him. He's such an amazing character and my heart is with him throughout this entire book. When we get little flashbacks of him being bullied. When someone doesn't understand him. I was rooting for him and Kit this entire book. At times, I didn't even want Kit to have him. I was very jealous of this fictional character. 

"I think about what it would be like to kiss her, to touch my fingertip to her clavicle cluster, to not worry about our physical boundaries. I imagine it would be like splitting an atom, a distillation into component parts. Everything is small enough to be countable. Everything as perfect and forever as pi."

This book shows you just how cruel high school can be to those who are different. I think this book is really important in showing how people who have autism or any other type of impairment thinks and feels. I think everyone should be educated on how to act and react around people like David. 

I really enjoyed my time reading this book. That little plot twist at the end really surprised me. I wasn't really expecting that but it made a few other little things that went on in this book click. I wasn't expecting it. 

I'm pretty sure that Julie is an autobuy author for me now. I've read two of her books now and loved them both.

4/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

Books On My Fall TBR!

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To