Review: Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


Throne Of Glass


By Sarah J. Maas

More Details:


SERIES:
Throne Of Glass
Book One

BOOK TYPE:
Fantasy

PAGES:
454
Published May 7th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Purchase


Synopsis:


In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

Overall Rating: 4/5 Stars

I was really expecting to love this as much as I love the ACOTAR series. But I still really enjoyed this book. 

Celaena is an assassin who is chosen by the crown prince, Dorian, to fight to be the King's Champion. She only accepts because she can receive her freedom after four years of service to the king. She and others who were summoned, have to pass tests in order to become the Champion.

That is, if they stay alive. Something is going about the castle killing off the competitors one by one. And Celaena is the only one who can stop it. 

I'm pretty sure this is my first read with an assassin in it. I had a lot of fun reading this book and trying to figure everything out ahead of time. 

I don't think there's anything Sarah J. Maas can write that I won't like. 

Character Rating: 4/5 Stars

Maas wrote all of these characters so freaking well. There isn't one character that was just plain Jane. She really made you like everyone, even if you didn't want to like them.

Celaena is so badass. I love her character so much. Even though she's an assassin, she still has a heart of gold. I can't wait to see her adventures in the other books. 

I love Dorian. Like, if she ends up with Chaol over him, I'm going to be displeased. He's the sweetest person ever and she definitely deserves someone who will treat her right.

I also love Chaol. I just don't think he's right for Celaena. He's just a badass brooder and needs to stay protecting her instead of loving her.

World Building: 3.5/5 Stars

This book was so visual. You're able to see everything that goes on. Although, there's not much of a "world" yet. This book was set in a castle through most of it. But, you're still able to visualize everything like it were in front of your face.

Romance Rating: 3/5 Stars

The second genre for this book on Goodreads is Romance. There really isn't any romance this book. It's definitely slow burn and it just stops. I was rooting so hard for Celaena and Dorian. There was just so much tension between the two.

I really feel like it's going to be a love triangle trope in the future though. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!