Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard



Red Queen (#1)
Victoria Aveyard
Published by HarperTeen on February 10th, 2015
383 pages
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Kindle ~ Audiobook ~ Book Depository
This is a world divided by blood - red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart...
I was told I was either going to love or hate this book. Well... I loved it! I read this book in about 24 hours and I didn't want to put it down. It probably means I like trashy books, but oh well. I'm trash for trashy books. 

Yes, it's an easy book to read. I was beginning to think I was going to stop enjoying all fantasy books. This book made me realize that I still love fantasies! I think this book is a great book and I can't wait to see what happens next. 

"Anyone can betray anyone." Boy, ain't that the truth about this book! That quote speaks for this entire book. I didn't know who to trust. I didn't want to trust anyone but Mare. I kinda sensed that twist at the end, I just didn't guess all of it. 

I really enjoyed all the characters in this book. There wasn't one that I didn't like, besides the queen of course. She's crazy and I hope she gets what's coming to her. I loved both Maven and Cal. I felt like there was going to be more of a love triangle between them, I'm kinda glad there wasn't. I'm thinking there may be one in the future though with someone else...

I love the idea of how different people bleed different. There is Red Blood and Silver Blood. I'm pretty sure that those are the only two types... Anyway, the Silver Blood people think they're better and stronger than Red Bloods and in ways they are. Red Blooded people serve the Silvers. There's a revolution and crazy things happen. It reminded me a bit of The Hunger Games.

I went into this book with extremely low expectations because quite a few people hate it. I'm so glad I'm coming out of this story with excitement towards the next book. 

(don't mind the numbers on the cover, I bought this book at used book store and couldn't get it off 😡)

☆☆

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

Books On My Fall TBR!

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To