Love At First Like by Hannah Orenstein // Book Review


Title: Love At First Like
Author: Hannah Orenstein
Publisher: Atria Books
Published: August 6th, 2019
Pages: 336

Eliza Roth and her sister Sophie co-own a jewelry shop in Brooklyn. One night, after learning of an ex’s engagement, Eliza accidentally posts a photo of herself wearing a diamond ring on that finger to her Instagram account beloved by 100,000 followers. Sales skyrocket, press rolls in, and Eliza learns that her personal life is good for business. So she has a choice: continue the ruse or clear up the misunderstanding. With mounting financial pressure, Eliza sets off to find a fake fiancé.

Fellow entrepreneur Blake seems like the perfect match on paper. And in real life he shows promise, too. He would be perfect, if only Eliza didn’t feel also drawn to someone else. But Blake doesn’t know Eliza is “engaged”; Sophie asks Eliza for an impossible sum of money; and Eliza’s lies start to spiral out of control. She can either stay engaged online or fall in love in real life.


I'm not going to lie, I had pretty high hopes for this book. I thought it was going to be super cute and quirky. It was neither of those things. The main character, Eliza, schemes just about everyone she knows. She cons Blake into dating her, knowing that he may eventually propose to her and she can pretend that her fake proposal was with him.

I hate how almost everyone in her life is okay with her scheming people. Especially Blake. Did nobody think about his feelings in all of this?? Eliza didn't even have feelings for Blake. She was hoping that somewhere along the line, she would develop feelings for him. Okay Eliza, you're a bitch and so are all your friends and family.

This book just honestly didn't make any sense to me. I have lowered my rating since my initial rating of three stars. There were some aspects that I liked, which is why I'm giving it a two-star rating instead of a one-star. Raj is the reason this book got two-stars. Eliza does not deserve him.

2/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!