On The Fence by Kasie West // Book Review


Title: On The Fence

Author: Kasie West

Genre(s): Contemporary, Young Adult

Page Count: 296

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Synopsis:

For sixteen-year-old Charlotte Reynolds, aka Charlie, being raised by a single dad and three older brothers has its perks. She can outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows—including her longtime neighbor and honorary fourth brother, Braden. But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at chichi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world of makeup, lacy skirts, and BeDazzlers. Even stranger, she's spending time with a boy who has never seen her tear it up in a pickup game.

To cope with the stress of faking her way through this new reality, Charlie seeks late-night refuge in her backyard, talking out her problems with Braden by the fence that separates them. But their Fence Chats can't solve Charlie's biggest problem: she's falling for Braden. Hard. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

~Things I Enjoyed~

  • I really love Charlie's close relationship with her brothers. I've always envied siblings who are close to each other. As much as I love their relationship, I feel at times it's unrealistic. They're always together and that just doesn't make sense to me.
  • I like that Charlie's father made her get a job to pay for her own mistakes. I love it when parents do the "tough" love. It's such a valuable lesson that your parents can't always be there for you when you get yourself into trouble.
  • Charlie coming to terms that she can be both into sports and more feminine things. Her development in this book was remarkable. She learns she can be herself around everyone without holding back and if they don't like her the way she is, then maybe they're not a true friend.
~Things I Didn't Like~

  • I hate the notion that just because someone is a "tomboy" they can't also be feminine. Like, how is Charlie clueless as to what conditioner is. That's not just a "woman" thing. I just really hate when authors write a girl as a tomboy and it's impossible for her to know anything about self care.
~Overall Thoughts~

I didn't hate this book. Which is awesome because I am not a fan of Kasie West. She redeemed herself with this book. The characters weren't whiny like in her previous books that I've read. I liked the story, enjoyed it for the most part. I'm still going to be skeptical about going into any of her books in the future, this book does not change that.

~Rating~
3/5 Stars


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

Books On My Fall TBR!

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To