Book Review: Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

Synopsis:
When kingdom come, there will be one.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.

Purchase: Amazon - Kindle - Audiobook

My Review
I was extremely excited to start this series. So, when it was randomly selected to be my next read I just couldn't wait to dive in. Let's just say, I'm not in a hurry to pick up the next two books in this series.

I enjoyed my time reading it. I loved the premise of this book. The idea almost like The Hunger Games, if you really think about it. Three queens having to kill each other for the throne. What an amazing idea!

I just really wish the idea was executed better. I found this book rather slow at times. I saw the twist coming from miles away. I didn't let that take away from this book though. I can see how so many people love it and I'm hoping that I will grow to love it as the series progresses.

I did love the little bit of boy drama that was added to this book. It's always interesting when there is real drama in a fantasy.

Out of Katherine, Mirabella, and Arsinoe, the three queens, Arsinoe was by far my favorite. She's protective of her friends. I'm really disappointed with the twist because I really wanted Arsinoe to shine at Beltane. I didn't want that ending for her.

All in all, I liked this book. Not enough to pick the next one up right away but I definitely will in the future. Now, if there was more fighting between the queens, I would have loved it more. The violence and fighting would have made this book for me.

3/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!