Review: The Bride Test by Helen Hoang

Synopsis:
Khai Diep has no feelings. Well, he feels irritation when people move his things or contentment when ledgers balance down to the penny, but not big, important emotions—like grief. And love. He thinks he’s defective. His family knows better—that his autism means he just processes emotions differently. When he steadfastly avoids relationships, his mother takes matters into her own hands and returns to Vietnam to find him the perfect bride.

As a mixed-race girl living in the slums of Ho Chi Minh City, Esme Tran has always felt out of place. When the opportunity arises to come to America and meet a potential husband, she can’t turn it down, thinking this could be the break her family needs. Seducing Khai, however, doesn’t go as planned. Esme’s lessons in love seem to be working…but only on herself. She’s hopelessly smitten with a man who’s convinced he can never return her affection.

With Esme’s time in the United States dwindling, Khai is forced to understand he’s been wrong all along. And there’s more than one way to love.


My Review
Overall Thoughts: I enjoyed my time reading The Bride Test. More than I did with The Kiss Quotient! I took the audiobook route for this one and I'm glad I did. I feel like it made me enjoy things more. I laughed out loud many times. This is such a great book. I think I may have liked it more than The Kiss Quotient

Characters: I love Esme and Khai so much. I love them. I love them. I feel like they fit together so well. Even if Khai thinks he's incapable of having emotions. Their story was much more interesting to me than Stella and Michael's. Khai's mom is so cute. She just wants her son to not be lonely. I love her. I feel like more secondary characters in this book have more purpose than they did in TKQ. Khai is also my new book boyfriend.

Plot: I love the matchmaking aspect of this book. I know it's an old concept. I know it doesn't happen anymore. I just love reading books about it! I feel like it worked so well with Esme and Khai and I'm glad that it wasn't like TKQ in this aspect. 

Writing Style: I love that we get POVs from both Esme and Khai. I loved being able to see Khai as he is. Not from someone else's eyes. I loved getting to see how his brain works and how he thinks about himself. I love that we get to see that Esme, even with knowing that Khai isn't like most people, she still accepts him. I love getting to see both perspectives. It really makes me appreciate a book more.

Humor: This book had some parts where I was dying. When Khai was having the "sex ed" conversation with Quan and Michael, I was dying in my car. I was dead. Hilarious. There are much more funny parts in this book!

Relationships: I love Esme and Khai together. They're made for each other. My heart squeezed so many times over them. I want more of their story, I already miss it.

5/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

Books On My Fall TBR!

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To