Review: Shadow And Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Shadow And Bone
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Shadow And Bone (#1)
Publication Date: June 5th, 2012
Genre(s): Fantasy, Young Adult
Page Count: 416
Order On Amazon
Add To Goodreads

Synopsis:

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

My Review:

I don't think words can express how mad I am at myself for not starting this series sooner. I've had these books on my shelves for quite some time. Along with the Six Of Crows duo. I've spent a good chunk of money on Leigh's books and I haven't read any of them, until now. Oh boy. I'm in for it with her books.

Likes:

The Darkling. I don't just like him. I love him. I was really hoping the best for him throughout this book. I wanted him and Alina together so bad. I still do, honestly. He's such an interesting character. And he's honestly the reason why I love this book so much?

I loved the love triangle in this book. There wasn't too much of it, but it was there. I'm rooting for the one I know I shouldn't root for. I'm really hoping that there's more of this love triangle in the other two books. I neeeed it.

I love Alina. She's strong. She's beautiful and I think that's because she's not technically "beautiful". I love that Leigh didn't make Alina a beautiful big breasted woman who saves the day. People can actually see themselves in her. At the beginning, she's a weak girl who draws maps. At the end of the book, she's like one of the strongest Grisha there is. I love the growth. Just absolutely freaking love it.

I love Mal and Alina's friendship. I'm calling it a friendship because I do not ship them together romantically. He takes care of her and he always did. I think he could be good for her, I just need more books to change my mind about The Darkling.


Dislikes:

I honestly don't think there was anything that I didn't like about this book. I loved it!


Final Thoughts:

I can tell that this series is definitely going to be one of my top favorite series. I just really enjoyed everything about this book. I can't wait to devour Siege And Storm. I'm glad that book is a little bit bigger :)

5/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Recap: 08.02.21 - 08.08.21

2021 Releases I Was Excited To Read But Didn't Get To

Books On My Fall TBR!